The Kenworthy Board of Directors has identified the current chairs in the auditorium of the theater as a priority project. Before moving forward in the development of a capital campaign we are conducting market research by hosting several focus groups. The Kenworthy is the community’s theater and it is of the up-most importance to us that the community has an opportunity to share their thoughts. If you would like to participate in a focus group discussion please contact our Executive Director.
To make an investment in the future chair campaign click here.
A brief history:
1908: Operated as The Crystal Theater
1926: Milburn Kenworthy purchases the theater and names it the Kenworthy Theater.
1927: Motion pictures and live performances were presented
1928: The original brick structure was enlarged twenty feet to the south.
1929: New motion picture technology purchased and installed. Moscow movie-goers saw the city’s first “talkie,” In Old Arizona.
1936: Robert Morton Pipe Organ donated to the University of Idaho
1949: An extensive remodel, including new terracotta tile façade and enlarged marquee.
1979: The stage is converted into a coffee house (Cafe Libre.)
1984: The theater is leased to theater chain, Carmike Cinemas.
1999: The Kenworthy family gifts the theater to the Moscow Community Theatre, Inc. on December 31.
2000: The non-profit organization, Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre, Inc, is formed.
2000-2010: Major renovations include installation of ADA restroom, marquee repairs, waterfall curtain installation, sidewalk repair and stage expansion.
2013: Digital projector retrofit